Custom Search

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

NEW JOB!

...For the hubby, not me.
My husband is an attorney and for the past 6 years he's been working as a real estate attorney for a title company. It's been good, but some of you may have noticed that the housing market ain't what it used to be (Housing market 2004: Can you sign your name? You qualify for a home loan! Oh, you can't sign your name? Lucky you, we offer the special "x is ok" package! Credit score lower than your bowling score? Don't worry, you too can live in a McMansion! Housing market 2009: Foreclosure is the new open house.)
Basically, his company was stagnating. Thanks to good management, they stayed open and barely downsized (many title companies closed their doors), but he didn't get a raise last year- even though he got promoted!- and the company stopped matching his 401-k. So this summer he just casually logged on to a job seeking website. The first job he saw was a property attorney position with the Army Corps of Engineers.
It takes awhile for the application process to get moving on these government jobs, but to make a long story short, he got the job. He'll be starting in December!
The upcoming big changes have started up my worry engine. Weirdly, I don't worry about myself much, but I am great at worrying about others' problems. My current worries:
- What if he doesn't like his boss?
- What if he needs to brush up on his skills/knowledge (he's been practicing one narrow field of law for a long time!)
- What if this temporary position - it is temporary - isn't renewed and he's jobless in 2 years?
- What if I get insanely jealous of the fact that his office is within walking distance of our house?


Sigh. SO many worries these days...
But congrats to the hubby, good for him to get a job when so many people are jobless right now!

What's on your mind these days? What worries you? What are you doing to stop worrying? (please do not reply in the form of a drug name)

6 comments:

  1. Congrats to the hubby! My husband lost his job (his company closed all their stores in our state) at the end of October so I've been worried about him finding a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that! How's the search going? I know it's been hard on a lot of people. I was hunting myself a few months ago. We are actually blessed to be in New Orleans right now because the economy hasn't been hit as hard here. Family and friends in other states tell me it is much worse.
    Best wishes for your husband in his job hunt- with hopes he'll find job he enjoys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots and lots worry me... my dad was jobless off and on my whole childhood but i used to remember how easy it was for God to fashion the majestic Rockies and the delicate design of the Monarch... He loves me and wants the best for me. He wants the best for all of you! "Worry not about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry for itself" Dad is now retrained and working in a field that he is, not only very financially blessed, but absolutely LOVES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charity, what a great reminder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey @ EatReadRunDecember 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM

    Congrats to your husband - it sounds like he made a smart decision. It's hard to know when it's the right time to move on and it certainly takes courage to do it in such a tough economy. My worries are my job stability and my husband's as well. Running is a huge stress reliever for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to your hubby! Mine started a new job earlier this year, I had some of the same worries. But all worked out well, if anything I'm insanely jealous that he loves it and it doesn't feel like work!

    Someday I'll figure out what I want to be when I grow up.... till then I feel kind of stuck. Oh and his new position was a bit of a pay cut, so I feel slightly limited as to what I can do.....That is what worries me. I want to find a job that doesn't depress me, my current job can be a tad depressing. Thank goodness for running!

    ReplyDelete