Custom Search

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day Late, Dollar Short

Dear government,
Thanks for passing a healthcare bill now that I not only have health insurance (as opposed to the years when I was denied because of recent cancer history), but work in healthcare. I'm sure the massive paycuts that are planned will make my job miserable as we are forced to cut staffing, quality control, and extra services. And how, by the way, do you plan to mediate state medicaid drug reimbursement cuts? Because our state already reimburses us below cost. Yep, we lose money on every medicaid script we fill!
Dear congress,
We definitely needed to do something about the hooey that is student loans. Maybe you could have done that while I was, you know, a student? Because now I'm graduated, and my few measly student loans I did take out - all federal - have an unholy 6.8% rate. That's silly. My hubby has PRIVATE loans with rates less than a third of that! All my loan fees were gobbled up by the hungry banks, never to be seen again. I'm darn lucky that I work like an ox and only had to take out loans for two years out of my eight years of school.
Dear other congressmen:
Student loan repayment? Why? Are you saying you're going to REWARD people who carry around massive debt and don't pay it off? Why not just give the money up front to decrease the amount of interest the borrower must pay? In essence you are given student borrowers a second loan: Students are getting money after 20 years to cover the balance of their educational loan debt, but they had to pay interest that certainly exceeded that amount over the 20 year period. And yes, the reason I have beef about this is that I won't have any loans you can repay, because I plan on paying mine off by next Fall. Because I'm responsible, ya know? And I don't mind eating pinto beans for dinner so I can save some money and pay on my loans.
Moral of the story:
My life schedule is off. If I'd gone to school earlier I would have had low interest rates and low tuition. If I'd gone to school later I'd have had loan forgiveness and decent loan regulations. And if the world was sane, healthcare reform would have started by cutting the disgustingly expensive bureaucracy that is government health: I'm talking to you, FDA, CMS, DHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment