Custom Search

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cheap date Wednesday, a day late


I kind of forgot about this yesterday, but I'm running a race tonight that sort of counts as a free date. If getting muscle cramps is romantic to you. And you think sweat is sexy. Anyway, I guess there are some people out there who think an exercise date is fun. I'm one of them It's just that my husband isn't. So usually my exercise "dates" are forced and he kind of hates me for it.
I am participating in these wonderful free races hosted by the New Orleans Track Club. They're just 2 miles, they're free, and of course they're followed by free beer and Chee-wees (they're baked, not fried, so you can lie to yourself about the calorie content!).
Last year I hosted a series of "race parties" after the summer races. It was fun because people are willing to run just 2 miles, and afterwords we met at my house for a sort of healthy dinner - for example, grilled spicy chicken wraps, fresh fruit, white wine, and cantaloupe granita. Delicious! People who lived nearby ran home to shower; everyone else took turns at my house.
It was so fun - you should definitely try something similar; you can even host your own "race" in your neighborhood if your city isn't a great source of exercise opportunity.
Tonight's date is with other runners because my husband stood me up to go to a prayer retreat this weekend (the nerve!). I'll post my time later!

No comments:

Post a Comment