Custom Search

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Long run not-really-fail

This post is in a rush because I came back from my long run to a text message telling me to get into work an hour and a half early for a follow-up conference call. So I kind of have to eat some lunch and get moving.
This morning's run turned out to be not so bad. The worst part was that I had to cut it short, to just 20 miles - my goal was 22 because I feel like I need to hit the wall and keep going a few times before this race. However, I got up so late this morning (I started my run around 7:45! Sun had been up for an hour!) that I wanted to make it home in time to finish packing for my trip to see my sister before work. As it turns out, that was a smart choice, because otherwise I would be rushing to make that conference call.
So, here's the stats:
Distance: 20 miles
Time: 2:51:53 (I am nothing if not consistent; last 20 miler was 2:51:27!)
Pace: Um, quick math in head, um, 8:35?
Shoes: New Balance lightweights. I wanted to try them out and they were definitely light and fast; I didn't feel any knee pain but the jury is still out until tomorrow (wait until I stand up for 9.5 hours then sit in a car for 8.5).
Fuel: Oatmeal. It rocks. I brought a Gu with me; didn't need it. I also brought some energy chews which I pitched. More on the chews later. I'm trying to get my little brother to write a blog review on them since he eats them for runs over 20 miles.
Hydration: I brought gatorade, but with the sun up the heat was kind of getting to me. I took multiple water breaks, which affected my time. I did stop my watch while in Rite Aid for 2 fill-ups.
Crappy part: So last night, in anticipation of this run, I took a 7.5 mg meloxicam. Meloxicam is an NSAID, like ibuprofen, but it targets musculoskeletal inflammation. My knee has been aching and puffy lately so I thought it was a good idea. The only problem is that the drug doesn't do much for certain other prostaglandins, ie, the ones that cause uterine cramps. I couldn't add in ibuprofen, or I'd overdose and shut my kidneys down (esp during times of near dehydration like long runs!). So that left me with crazy pain. The same thing happened to me during the Mardi Gras marathon and I almost couldn't finish. This time I actually had to stop and beg for drugs from a park worker. He scrounged up a tylenol, thank goodness, but waiting for him to find me something set me back on time. Hence the early finish.
Great part: Before the cramps set in, I was running an 8 to 8:15 pace with no problem; I kept it up until mile 15 when I started feeling like a man was beating me to death with a baseball bat from the inside out. Also great is that there was absolutely no "wall" in site. I felt comfortable stopping at 20 because I knew I wouldn't hit the wall even at 22, 24...hopefully 26! Besides cramps, I felt great in every other way. And my time was good even with the set backs (although I felt it should have been faster than last time since I was in my lightest shoes).
Ok, off to work to save the world, one flu shot at a time. By the way, if you live in Nola, I'll hook ya up. I give the most pain-free shots this side of the Mississippi.
Q for you:
I am sending hubby to pack us lunches for tomorrow's road trip. Ideas?

7 comments:

  1. Told you it would be awesome! Great job! 20 miles is great and your pace is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your 20 miler! I hope your knees feel better. I did Mardi Gras half this year and it was my first time in NOLA. I'm going back in November for a trip with friends and can't wait! I live outside of Mobile so we are kind of neighbors.
    For lunch, I would pack PB&J or bananas and pretzels. Mmm my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work speedy!!!

    I have a 20-miler this weekend. I am very nervous. My left foot has been acting up since my 8-miler yesterday. SO not the time for it to start acting up but whatever. Hopefully all is good by Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so amazing!! The last post made me laugh!! I am so glad this one went well!! My mom always brings chex mix and peanut m&m's on our roadtrips plus she packs a cooler of fruit, so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really like to look into the Jazz half. The only problem is that I'm scheduled to work on the 30th and I work night shift so it would be impossible to get there. I'm trying my hardest to get off and if I can get someone to switch with me I'll definitely let you know! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a successful 20 miler. I always like doing a 21 or 22 miler just to be safe. I've never heard of that pain reliever but it sounds interesting and cool that you know all the effects of what you're putting into your body! Have a great road trip. Trail mix, yogurt covered pretzels, hefty sandwiches, veggies, cheese sticks are all good choices. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, hope you're having a fabulous weekend!! There's an award for you over on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete