Custom Search

Thursday, July 5, 2012

First run back...

...From Denmark.
Abe in Copenhagen...which is flat. Alsborg, where he was studying, is hilly.

My little brother Abe's back in town after a semester in Denmark, and we went for a 3:00 pm run the day after he returned. He thought he would be in pretty good shape after running hills for 6 months, but he was not acclimated to the brutal heat. Not at all!
In fact, our short 4.5 miler had him winded and nauseated (and we were running at my pace - much slower than his on a good day; pathetic while injured).
I often forget how tough the heat here really is. I don't do a lot of strenuous running in the summer, so I don't suffer too much; plus, I generally acclimate slowly as the seasons progress. This year was harder, since I took a break right when temperatures were really warming up. I got back running and the humidity was way, way more oppressive.
I hope summer running builds toughness and endurance, but for some reason I think all it does is get my body accustomed to slower speeds.

Your take on summer runs:
- Use them to build endurance?
- Take them easy?
- Take them inside to the treadmill?

5 comments:

  1. it doesn't get too hot here in Kenya-still cool for morning runs. but in Kuwait, when it got very hot, I would be slogging it on the treadmill-which I hate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last summer was my 1st on the Gulf Coast. I moved my workouts indoors, and wound up with a hip injury (too many treadmill miles) and not acclimated to outdoor running. My race paces suffered GREATLY.

    This summer I've stuck with outdoor running, and while I've slowed a little, my workouts are still pretty consistent (a little less speedwork, a little more long-slow-distance).

    I think I'm happier with the (sweaty!) results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for me it is take it easy outside because it is too hot here already and if it is above 90 I go to the gym and hit the TM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ususally use summers to just keep a base of about 10 miles, get in a little hill work, run a few 5ks and 10ks for fun, etc. I've had a September or October marathon before, which was a little more challenging, but still usually gave me a break for the hottest summer months. I like having a summer to just play and keep the cooler temps for more intense racing and training.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using for endurance is the same as taking it easy to me, but I define endurance by long/slow so may be different meanings to others. I think that here in the South we gotta take it easy and pay attn to the signals our body gives us. The heat and humidity do a toll!

    I don't understand how people run at 3pm/the middle of te day. I guess I'm weaker mentally!

    ReplyDelete