Custom Search

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Go, ladies!

I was so proud of our Olympic women's marathon team! To have three women finish in the top ten was impressive, and the way both Flanagan and Linden rallied really showed their guts (although I really wonder about Linden's racing strategy in the heat, going out to the lead and making multiple "surges" throughout...THIS IS SO MAKING ME DOUBT MY HANSONS MARATHON METHOD).
From Runner's World

It seemed to me that the heat training our team completed paid off. The United States was the only country with three top ten finishers, and all our women broke 2:30 on a hot day. I love it!
Flanagan is on a roll, Linden is just simmering, waiting for a break-out race, and Cragg - a marathon newbie - has many great races ahead of her. I'm excited for the future of marathoning in the US.

5 comments:

  1. I was confused about the start time so I missed all but the last mile - love watching these ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on the edge of my seat!! Desi may have had a better day, but I heard that she missed her first fluid bottle at the 5k mark, after that she surged to the front so she wouldn't miss her other bottles....And she really wasn't making too many big surges. She ran even splits for both halves. It just appeared that she was surging because the other runners were trying to surge/slow down. Desi is my hero when it comes to pacing. She always runs her own race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that makes more sense. So there is hope for me after all!
      I heard that there were only 4 elite tables for the marathon - why?! That seems like such a bad idea given the heat!

      Delete
  3. To me, the U.S. women's team has been the story the entire Olympics. I mean it's been complete domination! But as a conservative old man ... um, what's up with the uniforms ... or lack of? I mean the running bottoms look like swim suits, and the swim suits (specifically on the beach volleyball) look like panties. I mean, they're really out there. I don't know how you would feel comfortable performing in something like that, other than I guess they're really confident of their bodies. Times have changed. Get off my lawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree that some of the uniforms were definitely designed with viewership and ratings in mind!

      Delete