Custom Search

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Christmas Eve with kids

We went to David's family's house for Christmas Eve, as usual. We have been doing a family secret Santa thing, and I keep drawing one of David's sister's names - and that's fine, because she's easy to shop for. She wanted a gift card - perfect. Easy enough to shop for when you're on crutches! I hate being a boring gift-giver, but in this case it was all for the best.

I wore a pastel floral top, a cardigan, coated jeans, and navy snakeskin heels. Not that Christmasy, but oh well.

For the last five years, our Christmas Eve celebrations have included kids, since David's brother now has three kids. And I just have to say: all those people out there who are like, "Oh! Christmas is so much more magical once I had kids! You'll get all excited about Christmas again once you have kids!" are crazy. 
Christmas with kids is a loud, hectic example of why materialism is evil. It is a showcase of the worst childish behaviors, like whining, defiance, hyperactivity, selfishness, and disobedience. It's also a great lesson on the ineffectual use of bribery, trickery, cajoling, and debating in controlling kids' behavior.
For example - now, no one reads or even knows about this blog, so I can complain about loved ones anonymously, which is great  - the oldest nephew, who is five, spent the entire dinner shrieking at us. He kept hollering at us to shut up, because if we kept talking we'd NEVER finish eating, then he'd NEVER get his presents! I mean, kids aren't perfect, so I can understand a kid saying that once. But it continued the entire meal, while his parents tried to reason with him. "It's taking longer to answer you than to talk to each other!" "You're the one who's talking!" etc.
Now, I'm not a parent, but I was a kid once. And since I basically parented my six younger brothers, I know that you don't reason with kids. If I had pulled that stunt at a family dinner as a little one, I am not sure I'd be alive today to tell you about it. But no one did anything but argue with him gently, so we all hurried up our meal so he could open presents and promptly start envying his brothers' gifts. Great birth control, those nephews.

All that Grinchery was to say that between my intolerance for horrid small children and my hip problems, I think I'm ready for a nursing home. Now get off my lawn.


14 comments:

  1. LOL. I am not going to criticize your nephews or their parents, but I WILL say that not all children act like that on Christmas... and some of them (including mine) are down right pleasant, fun, well-behaved and grateful. :)

    I laughed out loud at the get off my lawn. Hahaha! Hope you are healing up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely criticizing the parents, so I give you permission...lol.

      Delete
  2. Man, it's a GOOD thing you posted this after Christmas young lady!!! Maybe the karma will subside by next Christmas. Kidding of course, because the older my grand kids get (and specifically one of them), I totally agree with you. There just seems to be a lot of whining and crying. But I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a solution for whining kids! lol
    My kids never were told that santa existed, so there has been no pulling the "be good or else" card. Well, actually there is, but not by telling them Santa won't come. I hate the materialism and wish my kids NEVER found my mom's Target ad this year. :( Also, being at public school has increased the asking for things like DS or kindle fires, etc.. boo.
    I hope you are healing nicely, Grace! I'll stay off the lawn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, Raina! Public school is breeding ground for children's jealousy. I work really hard with my students about the real spirit of Christmas. (However, since we can't talk about Christ, I just go down the "gracious and giving heart" route. We keep a bulletin board where the children see how many things they can do for others for the days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I had a huge cutout of the Grinch, and every time they did a "good deed" for someone, they got to put a heart on the Grinch, with it written what they did. I also gave them different colored hearts for their family to work on it at home.

      Delete
  4. I am that person that says Christmas has meaning now that I am a mom. I said that but it had nothing to do with gifts. It meant more than I now understand the miracle of birth (not that I didn't believe in Jesus before, but now He's just more special of a baby now that I have one).

    I agree with above posters that not all children behave this way, and it has continued b/c it has been allowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that aspect - even agree that Christmas COULD be more special with kids. I love to see little kids get excited and love to see them happy when they give gifts to other people! But if you miss the whole point of Christmas, obviously your kids will, too.
      And my nephews are brats.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha. I only have one niece who just turned 2 so I don't quite feel your pain yet, but this is basically my mindset of kids... Total Mr Wilson here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one grandson. He's four. He turned four on Christmas Eve. So...birthday party on top of Christmas. And yes his parents know he can't always have his birthday that day but they wanted to hold out a little longer. His other grandma buys him three or four presents per event. We usually buy one toy per event and then books and clothes. He's four. He doesn't care.

      But he IS a very strong willed kid. So here's the scenario...stay up late on his birthday with lots of company and cake. Get up early on Christmas because...well...it's an internal clock, right? Open presents from mom and dad then race to Nana's. Open a billion things there (lots of aunts and uncles) and have brunch then hop in the car and over to Babe's house. You wanted a nap? He can't nap. It's too late. He won't sleep tonight. Instead let's give him MORE sweets, presents and stimulation. I'm kind of on the kids side here. The parents/family totally feed this. This poor little boy had a total meltdown at dinner BEFORE presents. He was so tired. He was so over everything. I didn't blame him at all. Everything in moderation please.
      Any other time he's a pretty good little kid. If I do say so myself.

      Delete
    2. I usually blame the parents, too!

      Delete
  6. I've had three kids and never once have they behaved like that. The worst evil they perpetrated at Christmas was waking us up around 5am - something we used to do to our parents so I think it's pretty fair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man. This. This is what I am scared of. And yes, I blame the parents for allowing this behaviour. (How do they miss the point of Christmas entirely? It's not about talking, or reasoning with the kid...it's about the fact that there are other things more important than presents.)

    My husband does not believe in corporal punishment (I was raised somewhat...differently) and thus I will be letting him take the lead on discipline...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes!! I'm sorry those kiddos gave you a scary dose of what Christmas can be like for some families.

    My kids are really young 2 & 4 and they get excited over the twinkling lights on the Christmas tree and "baking" Christmas cookies with mom. We also get a kick out of driving by the houses with all the pretty lights.

    I would be horrified if my kids behaved that way. I'm a firm believer in having kids respect adults. I also agree with the above poster who mentioned over stimulation. Tired/wired kids are never fun. I might not have much of a social life because I schedule my weekend activites around nap times. But, it beats dealing with a meltdown

    ReplyDelete