Custom Search

Saturday, February 1, 2014

The world is conspiring against my race

Eh, no fast racing tomorrow. Let's see, what went wrong so far:

1.After a few days in the 20's this week, tomorrow's high is 72F, with 90+% humidity (culminating in rain, but after the race is finished hopefully).
Really,  NOLA? It was 27 degrees on Wednesday. Inverted temps.

So much for nice running weather, and I've proved multiple times that I run poorly in humid weather.
2. Bad time of the month for me. So very bad. WHY does this always happen?!
3. My legs decided to die yesterday and I have been unsuccessful in resurrecting them. And they gained about 6 pounds each. I swear, it's like I can barely lift them. Annoying heavy leg syndrome. I can't trace this to anything I did: I took all week very easy, and didn't do any heavy lower-body stuff or fast running.
4. Even though Competitor Group dropped the "competitor" part last year and eliminated the elite program, we still have rock stars racing our streets. Tomorrow I'm racing Deena Kastor. 
I guess that means I won't win this year, darn. They should definitely keep those elites where they belong, which is not at some cheesy RNR race. Or ahead of me.
5. My Garmin, my trusty 305 that I got for Christmas four years ago, gave up the ghost this morning. Actually, it was dead Monday for track, but I just thought it needed to be charged. I haven't used it since then, but I did a pre-race battery check this morning and the thing won't even turn on. I have to research repair options, etc., but obviously it's out for tomorrow.

So, boo to all of that.
Yay to running a half marathon on my own streets and celebrate being healthy enough to do so!

*EDIT* My Garmin lives! It woke up of its own accord on try #15 to get it to turn on! 

7 comments:

  1. May be a stupid question,but I didn't know until someone told me either, so... have you done a hard reset on the Garmin? Hold down the "Mode" and "Reset" buttons at the same time and then press the "Power" button. Should come on if that's all it needed. Mine's done it a handful of times over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's an awful lot of conspiring against you. I guess at this point all you do is laugh and enjoy the experience for whatever it turns out to be...which is what it sounds like you're doing.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the world conspires against all your best laid plans and you just have to shrug it off - there'll always be another race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had races in KC where I wasn't busting ass for whatever reason, and those were some of the most enjoyable runs Ya know, just chillin' on the streets of the 816! Man, I'm so nerdy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad your Garmin came back from the dead. Mine has done that once before too, but I reset it and it worked again thank goodness. Have fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh - that's a lot of conspiring. At this point I would throw all the mental pressure out the window and just run blind and happy!

    ReplyDelete