Custom Search

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Upcoming race decisions: The Wall

I'm running a 30k this Saturday and I have yet to decide how to run it.
I have a few options:

1. Run it at marathon pace. It is three weeks out from RnR New Orleans, so it would be a good race to test out my marathon plan.
2. Run it as a long run. The run from my house to the start plus the race will put me at a about 22 miles, so I could use this as a relaxed long run.
3. Race it. This would be faster than marathon pace for this shorter distance.

Thoughts? My next marathon is March 4th.

5 comments:

  1. I say do the first half as a marathon-pace run, and then race the end. You'll get practice at marathon pace, and then you'll still get the exhilaration of negative splits. Plus, your legs will get practice speeding up when they're tired.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you do so many marathons and don't fall apart!! Okay, so my two sense would be to use it as a marathon paced run mixed with a progression run. So start out slower then build up to marathon pace by mile 3 or 4 and then hold that until the last 2 miles and then run those at like half marathon pace. I think I'll be doing this in a few weeks with a 30k. Good luck on your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have advice at all! Good luck lady. I'm so glad I found your blog - it will definitely make for a great resource once I can finally bounce back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like option 1. I think you are kidding yourself with a "relaxed long run" in a race (lol!), yet I don't think you should go all out with option 3. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will give you the same advice I would give myself:

    RACE IT!!! Give it all you have. Don't hold anything back. Set your 30K PR!

    My reasoning... You still have 3 weeks until your race. That means you can go hard this week and what better way to do that than a race.

    And there you have it. :-)

    ReplyDelete