Custom Search

Monday, August 30, 2010

Katrina Anniversary and Labor Day Plans!


This Sunday marked the 5-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. TO be quite honest, I didn't post anything because I didn't have anything monumental enough to say to fit the occasion. So I am leaving it at this - I sorrow for those who lost, I rejoice for those who returned, I give thanks for those who helped others. One of those helpers was Claiborne, a gentleman from Monroe, La, who selflessly offered to let my husband and his brother stay at his house - complete strangers - during evacuation. As I recall the stay was marked by a lot of beer and wine and Chris Rock routines (at some point Claiborne banned the news). Coincidentally, Claiborne was in town on business this weekend and we were able to meet him for a drink and reminisce over our experiences 5 years ago.
It turns out that the stars have aligned to allow me a 4-day weekend this Labor Day! I'm using my mini vacation to visit my sister, whom I haven't seen in over a year and a half. Hurray! My husband predicts that within half an hour he won't be able to tell our laughs apart (we tend to start sounding a lot alike when we're together). I'd like to put together a hostess gift for them - I was thinking a basket of food goodies. So far I have one thing...a jar of Nutella! What yummy little fancy food do you suggest I add?

The photo is me at our home - back then it was David's bachelor pad - in late September, 2005. It was the first day our zipcode opened. I was miserably hot and drenched with sweat but so happy to find our neighborhood relatively untouched!

7 comments:

  1. I think you should include a bottle of something bubbly, alchoholic or non in order to celebrate seeing each other, since so much time has passed!!
    I love this picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of the Biscoff cookies (the cinnamon flavored ones you used to get on airplanes) and of the little "cigarette cookies" (the hollow tube shaped ones) but their brand name escapes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually try to get some various local food things for baskets like local honey, jam, etc. Just usually go to some of the stores that carry that kind of stuff and get a few random things. Enjoyed seeing the post-Katrina picture...hard to believe that was 5 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd realized you were from New Orleans. I'm sorry for what you guys had gone through there...my husband's family is in Mobile and while it wasn't as bad for them, there were definitely some hairy moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. g- I suggest you rum down Williams Sonoma. they have tons of yummy little treats, just right for a basket. and they have those tiny cookbooks-- a nice NOLA one would be sweet =)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband lost in his home in Katrina and that is how we met. He moved in next door to my parents in Florida! I guess good does come from bad sometimes! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great pic!! And how cool that this person let your husband and his brother stay w/ him when they were evacuated.

    Hmmm... I always have hard time coming up w/ hostess gifts. you erally can't go wrong w/ Nutella... And then maybe soemthing like wine?

    Have fun w/ your sister. I know what your husband means about not telling your laughs apart. My little sister and I are kind of like twins. SO the more time we spend together, the more we talk alike, laugh alike, etc. Have a blast & enjoy this rare 4 day weekend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete