Custom Search

Friday, June 17, 2011

Foody Friday: after-dinner pizza

When people say "dessert pizza" they usually mean a cookie crust with frosting and fruit (or some atrocious topping like Oreos). So I've renamed this after-dinner pizza.It's a perfect little snack for a late night after a play or concert.
Need:
- Unbaked pizza crust, thin crust, your favorite recipe.  A tip for getting a thinner, less bread-like crust: Make dough, then freeze it. Defrost in the fridge for 24 hours before you need it. This allows the yeast to rise and fall a little so you get a thinner crust. I use whole wheat crust.
- Goat cheese and neufchatel cheese
- dried figs or dates
- toasted walnuts
- kosher salt
- brown sugar
Before popping it back in the oven...

Roll out (or toss, your choice, my tossed pizzas are never round, though!) the crust on a pizza stone. Bake at 425 for 8 minutes. Remove and spread with a thin layer of neufchatel and goat cheese. Top with toasted nuts and dried fruit. Sprinkle with a little kosher salt and a little brown sugar. Put in the oven under the broiler and let the sugar JUST start to melt and caramelize. Remove and allow to cool for a minute or two before cutting into tiny slices (it's rich!).
These slices are far too large. Piggy me.
Serve with espresso, dessert wine, or port.

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I like the name...definitely more suited to being an "after dinner pizza" than a "dessert pizza"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and salty = my fav. Looks delicious. I might do candied walnuts. That's how I roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sweet lord - that looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. any leftovers?? ;D

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 100% certain I would ADORE this pizza since I have a life-long love affair with goat cheese. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks AMAZING!!!! I totally am passing along the directions to Daron!!!!!

    ReplyDelete