Custom Search

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Wal-mart running haul

A few weeks ago, my long run brought me home miserable and limping, my feet covered in blisters. I took my shoes off to discover that there was more hole than yarn to my socks. And they weren't alone. Almost all of my socks were threadbare. It was time for a Wal-mart trip. See, I only wear Wal-mart socks. They're cotton, they're cheap, and I'm used to them. As for durability...well, that aspect could be improved. A six pack costs $6.97 and usually lasts me two years.

Now you know I can't possibly drag myself to that outpouring of God's wrath at humanity, Wal-mart. Luckily, you can order online, and luckily, I could add enough Smucker's peanut butter to my cart to qualify for free shipping. And at the last minute, I threw some tank tops in the cart:

These tops were $3.93, and since most of our local races have started offering cute, every-day T-shirts instead of tech T's, I am running out of tops to wear. These claim to be wicking material (up for debate; I'd say they're moderately wicking), are sort of billowy, and have a racerback. They're oddly tight in the chest, not usually a problem for me (although I do have a broad chest/back, I'm not exactly Dolly Parton, so this is a rare problem in a running shirt). I give them 2/5 stars, except nothing at Wal-mart can ever qualify for 5 stars in my mental rating system. I withhold that final star because putting "five star" and "Wal-mart" in the same sentence violates my sensibilities. So it's more like 2/4, or 50%. Good enough for me. I'm not picky.
What are you running in lately? What are your go-to running socks?

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE snarky, quick-witted, funny Grace! This made me chuckle because it's all 100% spot on about Wal-Mart. However, your miserly thriftiness with socks makes me feel bad for spending about $10/pair ... and they don't come from Wal-Mart. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't run in cotton socks, but have stocked up on enough pairs from winning gift cards to local running stores that I'm good for awhile. I did learn that if those socks get holes in them, I can simply return them to the store and they trade them out though, which helps. Like you I like simple for running clothes, I just buy from the outlets or whatever is on sale. I could never spend $40-50 on a pair of shorts or tank top! All your shirts are really cute and hooray for $4 tank tops AND being able to order peanut butter in the same transaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I wish I could run in normal cotton socks but every pair but every time I've tried I've gotten blisters and/or the sock slides down my foot and into my shoe. I also only like really thin socks, which means they automatically don't last as long. Fortunately I've found that I love the ankle-length summer-weight Balegas (though I wear them year round); unfortunately, they're like $6-7 a pair and only last maybe a year at best. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the c9 socks that go just below the ankle. I found some awesome tanks at the beginning of the summer at Academy that is their in-house brand (bcg?) that i LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy my socks at Big Lots (Discount store) I can find Fila socks in cotton or in dri fit 6 pairs for $5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. If the socks work for you, then that's awesome. I've found that I get horrible blisters unless I wear the special running socks. But I'm still wearing the same running socks that I had 8 years ago, so clearly they were a good investment!

    ReplyDelete