Custom Search

Monday, August 7, 2017

Weekend happenings and floodings

Last week was crazy for both me and David. I can't believe how much work piles up in just two days off! We both headed into work with plates full, and my week was complicated by a personnel issue (what else is new?) and the first of the month - always the busiest day in pharmacy. Then I also had a test for school and a couple of evening work events, so we hit the weekend exhausted!

I got on the road a little late Saturday, but I managed ten easy miles anyway. I didn't want anything hard, because I did a workout Friday night (it should have been Thursday morning, but I had my test schedule for Thursday at 6 am! And then I woke up too late Friday to fit it in before work). So Saturday was a warm 8+ min mile ten miler - no hills, no strides, no anything with any particular effort.

After that sweaty run, I cleaned the house, then entertained my friend Celeste for some afternoon cheese and wine. Celeste is a busy neurology resident, and hasn't been running much, which makes me sad. I miss running with her! She biked over from her place in the Marigny, and got caught in pouring rain, but since the rain had stopped while she was at our house, she decided to bike back. We offered to give her a ride, because we were actually going the same way since we had plans in the French Quarter, near her house, but she likes to bike and declined. She biked off, and we left shortly after - only to realize that every neighborhood besides ours was flooding! The rain had started again, and we were actually close to flooding in our car. We managed to navigate out of the water, but David's bumper got swept off in rushing water! We realized when we got home that many other neighborhoods flooded badly. Celeste got home safely, but in double the normal time, and water was thigh-high on her in some places!
See more, with video, at http://wgno.com/2017/08/05/widespread-flooding-hits-new-orleans-saturday-afternoon/
See slideshow here 

We ended up rescheduling our Saturday night plans (visiting my college roommate) for Sunday, and got Thai takeout and watched an episode of Endeavor instead. I rarely watch TV, but this series is so good!

Sunday, I hesitantly joined the rest of the Power Milers for our long run. The ground was soggy, but the forecast claimed a 0% chance of rain, so we'd be fine...right?
Nope. I and eight or nine others endured pouring rain for the majority of the 12 mile loop (14 for me, since I run to and from the start), and I was pretty miserable. I usually don't mind running in the rain, but I was kind of over the weather at this point, and my contacts kept getting dislodged. A new girl has joined us, Morgan, a speedy athlete and former swimmer for Tulane. I felt so bad that this was her first group long run experience! She was a trouper, though. Our loop circles almost the whole city, and parts were still flooded, with cars and garbage all over. Some of these neighborhoods have flooded over and over, unfortunately.


Waterlogged feet

Since we start at 6, I had plenty of time to make a pancake breakfast before church. But our walk to church was a deluge, too! Finally, the rain cleared in time for lunch. We agreed to meet my college roommate, Bekah, for lunch on Frenchman. I was glad she and her family squeezed me in to their vacation plans. I almost never see her, and I got to meet her little baby girl finally, who is named after me!
Roomies! 

Once we were back home, I finished up some chores and did some cooking, but I also squeezed in some time for track and field Worlds while "studying" (more or less. The book was open). It was nice to get some relaxation time in this weekend! We've just been on the go too much.

How was your weekend? Has your summer been dry, or a wet one like mine? 


4 comments:

  1. I couldn't believe it when I saw that NO got all that rain. It's been one of those summers that when it rains, it literally pours. We've had a lot of rain, but it's come all at once. It's actually been a pretty nice summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is some serious flooding! Hope all is well now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cannasta. That is so serious flooding. Life would just shut down here if that was to happen! We just don't experience flooding very often in the upper midwest! Kudos to you for running in rainy, crappy conditions! That takes some serious perseverance!

    My weekend was busy but fun. We hosted a friend for dinner on Friday. On Saturday my aunt and uncle came over and we tested 4 recipes for Julia Child night which is next month! And then on Sunday I spent a good chunk of time in the kitchen making and canning roasted tomatillo salsa verde. It turned out really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to get a glimpse into your personal life. And wow- that is a crazy amount of flooding. I'm glad you are safe and it's really unfortunate about all those other neighborhoods with severe damage.

    ReplyDelete