Custom Search

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Running into trouble

Back from a blessed long weekend...Hope everyone had a happy fourth!
No I did not run the midnight marathon, even though I wanted to. I decided it was a bad idea. I'm out of shape, slightly injured, and now...I have a cold, too. Maybe next year! 
Abe didn't do it either. I forgot to mention that after his last very rough marathon, I noticed he was walking around in sandals - odd for him. I yanked his jeans leg up and his ankle was enormous and purple. I made him go to his trainer and turns out he sprained it during the race; it's been taped since and he's just easing back into running, too. 
***
It's been over 2 months since I hurt my leg, and I took the time off from running like I should have. For the past two weeks, I've been easing back into things. I've got to admit, it hasn't been a walk in the park. While I was out, it got hot and humid. And apparently I got out of shape.
I've mostly been running three or four miles, getting up to six two or three times and up to ten once. That ten miler was my first double digit run in about 2.5 months, and although ten miles didn't used to feel like anything, that one was tough. It was hot out and I got winded early. I kept my pace under 8 min/miles, but it was work to do so. This run was a real test for me. I know in the past I'd do 10 easily, with my "slow" pace around 8 min/mile, and feel fine. This run didn't feel fine. I wasn't exhausted, but I felt a little tired. It didn't help that I had a cold and sore throat, too.The way I felt indicated that I have a lot of work to do to get back in shape.
I guess the best thing to do is come up with a training plan. But before I do that, I have to check back in with my doctor. I had a scheduled call-back to discuss how I felt (I asked for a phone consult instead of an appointment, since they're hard for me to make), but he never came to the phone and I ended up hanging up after about ten minutes. So once I get in touch with him, and get over this darned cold (I'm always sick at the most inopportune times!) it will be time to move forward. I'm thinking build up some distance first, then check my speed and add in speed work. Hahahaha. I know full well I'll NEVER do the speed work I prescribe myself. I am terrible at this.
Another good idea is to go ahead and register for a race to "force" myself to train, but I think that's a bad idea since I'm injured. I do have two half-marathons on the books for October, but nothing sooner.
So, that's that.Any words of encouragement to get my butt out there would be appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally feeling you. I ended up signing up for another race to motivate myself, & then finding out the injury was more severe & I won't be racing. Waste of $100. Do you have a good sense of the actual injury & your recovery time? If you do, I think it makes sense to register for something to give yourself a time-bound training period. If you still feel like there are unknowns with the injury & how long it's going to take you to heal, I would put a race on the calendar, but not actually register until you get closer & feel more confident about your recovery. That way you don't waste money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Running Girl. Sign up for a race! You could always make it a shorter one -- start with a 10k! Then it's not as expensive and it's do-able; you won't push yourself TOO hard.

    ReplyDelete