Custom Search

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thank you!

I tried all of your ideas yesterday and they were all a success! I woke up with the skin of a newborn babe! Oh wait. That was just a pleasant dream. More like, I slathered concealer all over my face and now I look like a normally-proportioned Heidi Montag.
But I do have a PLAN now.
The plan is to spend my $300 of health insurance on a dermatologist visit. My insurance is funky: I have a $5000 deductible, but I get "healthy points" for cholesterol, healthy weight, exercise, non-smoking status, etc. towards this deductible. I earned the max of $300 per year towards my deductible, but I haven't used any because I haven't needed medical care and I was saving it for an emergency. My face is SO bad, though, that I think this counts as a medical emergency. I mean, it's a visual emergency. Yuck!
You (incredibly helpful) readers brought up some great points yesterday. One is that I seriously need to work on the ol' thyroid and PCOD. Part of the reason that these conditions are untreated is that I do not adore taking hormones. It may be time for me to get over this. Perhaps I should see an OB/GYN before a dermatologist.
Another point that came up was benzoyl peroxide - both as a spot treatment and as Proactive - and I've shied away in the past because it made my face swell. But since it is obvious that my skin changed a lot maybe I can tolerate it now. Regardless - it's time to try something new and I guess I shall do so under medical supervision!

It is now your turn to vent about your health insurance. I've seen it all (working in health care), but I think we all need a chance to gripe. So if you have beef with Blue Cross Blue Shield, here's your invite!

4 comments:

  1. So are you aware of how pissed off East Jeff and BCBS are with each other?
    The situation bites me in the butt b/c my primary care doc I've had for 1 year (the guy I had at Oschner prior to that disappeared, literally. All the nurse would say was "He's not here anymore.") works at East Jeff so now I need another new Dr. for my yearly "Excuse me, I need more Albuterol for my exercise induced asthma" visit to the Dr.
    If anyone knows a good internal med or family med doc- please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that your derm visit or OB/GYN visit are successful and you see a difference... I have really struggled w/ my skin for the last 3-4 years. It's ridiculous that my skin is worse now than it was when I went through puberty!

    I am actually pretty ok w/ my insurance. I have a High Deductible Plan so my premiums are low. That means more out of pocket at times but it's worth it in the long run when I look at what i spend over the course of a year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to comment yesterday but work internet is funky again. I was going to ask if you're getting enough moisture for your skin, that sounds weird I know but I have realized I sweat out a ton of salt when I run. With all the running you do it may be an imbalance of some kind. I think your visit to either an ob or dermatologist are the best route to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually pretty good with my insurance. Of course, I don't really ever have to use it for anything so that might be why. Hopefully your dermatoligst appointment will help!

    ReplyDelete