Custom Search

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The amazing fruit fly trap


I have learned one thing in my twenty seven years. Cantaloupe = fruit flies. Period. The problem is that once they're in your house, they won't die until they've drowned in your Cabernet.
Here's how to catch them:
1. Pour apple cider vinegar into a small shallow dish. Fill it near the top.
2. Drop one drop of plain old dish soap onto the surface.
3. Leave it out overnight (near the source of interest, ie aging bunch of bananas, if such is the scenario).
The soap reduces surface tension so that when the flies land on the cider (and they love the stuff) they will sink and drown. It is amazing. I feel a little brutal but I rather like seeing how many flies I drowned over night.

(image lifted from here).

2 comments:

  1. Wow - thanks for the tip. I never knew how to get rid of those little culprits!

    Oh and you asked if I found any rice noodles I like in your comment yesterday; unfortunately, I haven't. I have tried a couple of different brands but they seem to have a bit of a funky after taste? I am still exploring though, as I need good carb options for marathon training!!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. You should show us a pick of how many you drown. :)

    ReplyDelete