Today's review is of the Avia Women's Active 3" Captivate Training Shorts, for the low, low price of $9.86. Or maybe it's for the Avia Women's Active 3" Inseam Short, which is only $6 right now (!!!), because as I discovered, Wal-mart is either greatly confused or considers them interchangeable. I ordered two of the first item, but I got one of each item, going by the description of the fabric content (neither was on sale at the time, though, or I'd be clamoring for my $3.86 back).
|From Wal-mart's website|
I decided it was time to throw caution, decency, and self-respect to the wind and invest in some booty shorts for summer running. I just could not take any more sweat-soaked flapping fabric - or sweat-soaked bunching fabric creating horrid chafing. So, after reading reviews of $50 nike shorts and $40 Road Runner Sports shorts, I turned to Wal-mart.
I bought two pairs of shorts, one black with "wine" (dark maroon) and one a weird green pattern.
So, here are my thoughts.
1. They fit well and don't ride up. They do not offer a lot of compression, if that's what you are going for (I'm not), but they stay put.
2. They don't bag out or become see-through when soaked in sweat. Yay!
3. They have a key pocket in the waistband, and it's a nice, big one, too. Even a big car key stays put.
|Waistband, with inner pocket and reflective detail on back|
1. High waist. These hit an inch below my belly button, which means they press on my tummy, which...isn't always a good thing.
2. Most shorts of this style do not have an internal elastic - rather, the fabric itself is elasticized, and the waistband fabric is cut on the bias or on the cross-grain to enhance elasticity. However, these shorts have an internal elastic at the top of the waistband. I don't have any complaints yet, but I can foresee this elastic twisting and curling after multiple washes.
Of interest, as I mentioned above, the two pairs I ordered are actually different composition:
|Polyester versus nylon|
At a recent trip to Target I was concerned to see these shorts on the clearance rack for $8. Did I overspend buying Wal-mart shorts?! But no. Something major is missing from the Target pair: no pocket!
|Not a deal. No pocket.|
My overall opinion? Great buy for the price. Go get some.