Custom Search

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Marathon training summary: mileage and injury

Short version: I didn't run enough and I hurt my knee.
This was my training plan. I painstakingly wrote out all that
speed work, only to ignore it all and follow Harrell's workouts.
Then I spilled wine on it all, anyway.

Long version: Go back and read the build up to my very first marathon, when I was a brand-new runner six years ago, when I also didn't run enough and hurt my knee! Basically the same story!

Miles: In fifteen weeks, I ran just 490 miles. The furthest I ran was 20 miles; the most in one week, 51. And I only had 3 weeks at 50 or over. Yikes. Not what I was looking for.

Time off: I missed close to three weeks with my knee - one in January and almost two in February. And then I got new shoes, because somehow that didn't occur to me when my knee started hurting. That much time off isn't good, and it's why I have scaled back expectations for this race. So my best-case scenario is 3:20, but I'd be happy with a 3:30 or even a BQ. Mostly, I just want to get back out and run a race I trained for. It's been too long since I've completed a training cycle!

3 comments:

  1. I'm afraid to even look at my mileage for this race...I did get in a 22 miler, but I don't think I ever went over 50 in a week, and I don't think I went over 40 very often. Will be the least prepared I've been in about 7 years. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof. These things happen. All you can do is the best you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not much you can do when you pick up an injury except take some time out. It's frustrating but at least you get to run the race.

    ReplyDelete