Custom Search

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Hood to Coast injury run-down

Running a relay after two hip surgeries and on a dubious left leg was a little risky, but I came out ok. At least so far. It's been a week, so I think I can safely report that I didn't re-injure anything.
We'll go ahead and do a review of systems, how about that? Flashback to pharmacy school!

Head: WINDBURN. My eyes and inside my nose especially.
Upper body: Fine; slightly sore lower arms from gripping a plastic bottle while running.
GI/stomach: It took me about four days for the nausea and cramping to go away. I just can't run on food at all. Or at least not whatever I ate over that relay. I'm finally back to normal.
Hips: No real issues. My right hip felt stiff after the plane ride home, but loosened up; it has since seemed a little impinged. It's probably a little inflamed. It's fine to run on.
Left leg: Actually, doing pretty well. I did not use any KT tape after all, and when I returned to some easy running on Tuesday night my left leg felt more sore than the right. But at least that means I'm using it. It also feels fine now.
Feet: Probably going to lose the same two toenails I always lose, despite draining the blood as soon as I got home. Blood blisters on the sides of my feet, mostly the left, thanks to too-narrow shoes.

Speaking of too-narrow shoes, I'm pretty upset that the Kinvara 6's felt tight on me. Now I'm faced with searching for another go-to shoe. I hope the 6's stretch out (or even tear open over the widest part of my foot like the 1's tended to do) and I can make them work - otherwise, it's back to the drawing board for me. Meanwhile, I glued the sole back on my Kinvara 1's and did 11.5 miles in them this morning without any mishaps, so I think I can get another 200 miles out of them. Hopefully.

And that's about it for the injury report. I feel very lucky and grateful that I seem to have escaped unscathed. Poor decision-making paid off!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you came through in good shape! Sucks that the 6's aren't working for you, I love 'em!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those relay races sound like pure HELL to me, but I'm glad you had fun and remain injury free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agh! You sound so beat up, but i am glad you are able to run with the tight hip.
    Good going with the shoe goo! I am using all sorts of old shoes I didn't know had second lives. I did buy one new pair at the outlets for 40$ because a girl has to spoil herself every now and again.
    Your last line cracked me up! Nothing like jumping in the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your poor feet! That sucks that the shoes are too narrow. I hope they loosen up over time so you can get some use out of them. What a bummer. We have the opposite problem - my feet are so narrow that I have trouble finding shoes that are narrow enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever tried Asics Gel nimbus? They are a great, cushiony neutral shoe and have helped me after my foot issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my feet don't normally have any problems except just wideness! I just need a very wide toe box.

      Delete
  6. Phew. It's hard to commit to something like that relay after coming back from injury or, in your case, surgery. All those doubts and what-ifs creep in. But I'm sure you wouldn't have made the decision in the first place if you were too worried. And it's worked out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad - I was worrying about you!

    Big fat bummer about your shoes. I've heard Brooks are a reasonably wide shoe (though that is based on rumour and speculation... I really have no idea..)

    Pen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had Brooks, and they were a little wider, but never totally loved any of their shoes, Maybe it's time to try them on again.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you survived the relay basically unscathed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it all seems to be intact more or less! I'm also back to the drawing board for shoes after many years in Brooks Glycerin, having loved the 12s, and now hate the 13s -- unusable for me. And the 12s are out of stock everywhere online in my size. For a crutch, I found a store in NJ that has 1 pair in stock but they won't sell online or ship, but a work contact has agreed to pick them up for me and meet me in Austin this week (where we're both working) to deliver, I told him I just needed this 1 pair to get through my marathon, then I'll find a workable plan for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is some dedication! Maybe the next iteration will go back to some of the features you liked.

      Delete