Custom Search

Saturday, September 12, 2015

A break in the heat

I went running in 76 degree weather today.
Seventy six! Humidity mid-80's! Overcast! Cool breeze! 
Basically, perfect running weather: or at least, it seems perfect after summer's heat. I had a long run scheduled, which has been an hour and 30 minutes since the start of the training plan. Because of this consistency, I can look back at the past few weeks to see if I'm improving by running further each week.
Um, I'm not. I've actually run slightly shorter each consecutive week I think! But weather REALLY plays into it. Last week's hot and humid run was about 11.5 miles; this week, I ran over 12!
I actually sort of ran a progression, although not purposefully. I started out running in the 7:40s, which is faster than my usual long run these days, and it felt so good to run in the cooler temperatures that I just kept speeding up. I was under 7:20 for the last few miles, and finished with an overall pace of 7:27. I will admit that this wasn't really easy pace - more like moderate or moderately hard towards the end. I'm not that speedy these days. But I was just loving the weather and enjoying the chance to run a tad faster.
AND I wanted to see what sort of shape I was in just in case I end up racing next weekend. My plan is to run a half marathon at the end of October, but there is a half marathon near where we will be next weekend, and I'm considering running it. I ran a little faster today to gauge my ability to actually run a decent pace at that distance (it will be the furthest I've run in a very, very long time if I do).


4 comments:

  1. I wasn't supposed to run this morning, but I was out of town on Friday and my run didn't work out, so I wanted a few miles today, and planned slow and easy since I have a long, long run tomorrow, but with the temps (we were low 70s and they're saying 60s tomorrow morning!), I just couldn't help it. Felt soooo gooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you cool we heat up and I had my first couple of sweaty runs on the weekend. Ughh - it's only September! It'll take a couple of weeks of resentment and I'll move into the acceptance phase of summer running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, fall! Let's hope this weather sticks around a little while! I've been out of the blogging loop for a few weeks, but I'm happy to read about your upcoming half marathon. Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know we all understand it as runners, but as our times, endurance, and overall performance begin to erode in the summer heat and humidity, we begin to doubt our fitness and running. I know I did this summer. But hang in there ... after posting crappy workouts and slow times all summer, my 10K yesterday was proof that sometimes weather is single biggest factor!

    ReplyDelete