Custom Search

Friday, April 27, 2012

Foody Friday: Chocolate-orange cake

It's easy, it's delicious, it will make you fat.
Garnish with orange peel if you are so inclined

For the cake:


1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
1 orange, mineola, or tangerine
water

For the filling:
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
Triple sec

For the frosting:
1 bag semisweet chocolate chips
1 tub sour cream (you can take the 1/4 cup for the cake out of this tub and you'll still have enough).

To make the cake, mix all dry ingredients. Grate the entire orange peel into the batter, then squeeze the orange to extract all juice into a measuring cup. Add enough water to make 2/3 cup. Add to dry ingredients. Add other wet ingredients; mix. Batter will seem watery.
Bake in greased 8 or 9" pans for 30 minutes. Let cool. For best chocolate taste, remove cooled cakes from pan; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

To make filling, cream butter and powdered sugar. Add enough triple sec to create consistency of frosting. Fill generously between layers.

To make frosting, melt bag of chocolate chips on low heat. When completely melted, remove from heat, quickly stir in sour cream, and beat until glossy. Immediately frost cake, then allow to set (15 - 30 minutes).

My cake is loaf shaped because I wanted to sneak a little batter out to make myself my own little cake (I was bringing this one for someone's birthday). However, the frosting ratios presented here are for a standard round cake. 

Try this, you'll love it.



8 comments:

  1. I don't need any more help in the "getting fat" department. Ha! You're right, this probably would make me fat considering I've done no exercise for 11 days. :) Hope you are well Gracie. And pretty sweet that you cross stitch (from your last post).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that sounds amazing! I may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a football.

    But it sounds great! I try not to cook too many sweets, since I have no self control. I don't even like sweet things that much, but if it's in front of me, I will eat the entire thing.

    And PS, on St Charles, you run in the middle of the tracks. Because if you run on the left, you are running on the wrong side of the tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks down right delicky ;) i love your wine glasses from the previous post, but i have to say i do kinda like the bigger ones too...but they have to have some depth and weight to them. After a few glasses though...who cares right ;)

    Love the boston pics...hope to get there one day

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must be the flavour of the month. I just made a Jaffa cake for my son't girlfriend for her birthday. Not the same recipe as yours but it tasted pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Were you joking about this being easy to make? My kind of easy (and only kind of baking) comes in a box. Looks amazing and totally worth the calories:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always have a dilemma when I cook for something that I'm bringing to someone's house...I always want to eat it before I go haha. Glad to see that you were able to solve this problem.

    And I TOTALLY agree about the wine glasses, it's so dumb how the trendy thing is to have giant goblets, it seems like a waste of space to me.

    ReplyDelete