Custom Search

Friday, April 13, 2012

Boston bits and pieces

Tomorrow I fly out to Boston on the cheapest, most lay-overest flight ever. As I head into this race I feel the need to brain dump.
1. I wish I could say this is just taper setting in, but it isn't: I'm hurting a little. I like to think of myself as indestructible, a natural-born runner who is so biomechanically efficient that injury is impossible.
Then I see a photo of myself running and am reminded of my weird gait. Or I look down at my feet and shudder at them in horror.
So anyway. My hips hurt. I hate to admit it, but this pain has been here for several months. I'm sure the 600+ miles on my shoes have nothing to do with this.
2. In other news, I am still feeling a little fatigued and burned out. I think the heat has something to do with it (I am already disgusted with our 80 degree weather at 6:30 am); multiple races probably contributed.
3. Speaking of, I'm sure it will be 6,000 degrees for the race because I obviously bring the weather. Almost all my races this year have been during a heat wave (see New HampshireMississippi, and Publix; although not brutal, even Baton Rouge and New Orleans were a smidge above normal temps).
Right now it's a projected high of 84 F. Dude.
4. I will have almost 700 miles on my shoes come marathon morning. Should I bring a new pair? This pair doesn't feel bad to me and I got over 1000 miles out of the last pair of Kinvaras I wore.

5. Not on topic, I went to Buffalo clothing exchange and got these shoes in black - brand new in box - free because I traded in 2 skirts I got off Target clearance and an Eddie Bauer shirt I got at the Salvation Army. Dude, they're Donald J. Pliner and they are $240 shoes!

15 comments:

  1. Good luck! I really don't think you should risk running in new shoes. You may need to burn them after the race, but the last thing you need to do is stop using the shoes that are working for you on race day.
    Also, the sandals are adorable! What a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with not running in brand spanking new shoes. But get rid of the pair you're bringing afterwards and take a little running break after Boston! Start lifting. I carry my injuries in my hips and resistance training makes a world of difference.

    Good luck, Grace! Oh, and cute sandals. What a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great Boston marathon. Hopefully the fatigue, burn out and hurt goes away at the starting line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of the heat either. I fall apart more than the average bear when it comes to warmer temps. I'm from Florida so you'd think I could handle it, but I can't. Good luck at Boston! Hips and shoes aside, you have a really cute tank to wear!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say run in the old shoes. My last pair has over 800 miles on it, and they are still fine. Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

    I love Donald Pliners! I used to sell shoes and that was one of my favorite brands. You got them for a steal! If you ever get a chance to buy any of his boots, they are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracie! You won my Gu giveaway (I didn't post about the winning yet though). email me at roserunnerblog@gmail.com and I'll send it to you shortly! Go caffeine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so I am blaming YOU for the Boston heat wave then! :)

    Sorry about the hips! I can't believe you get that many miles out of a pair of shoes. That's awesome. I would say not to change them now, but definitely get some new ones after Monday. Hope to meet up with you. If not, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, I new new shoes too, mine have over 600 miles on them too...but when I went online to try to find them on my favorite running warehouse website, they were on backorder until May 16, grumble grumble. Problems of my world.

    After Boston, you deserve a nice, restful break. And then your hip will be back to good in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear you're not feeling your best. Maybe try trigger point massage?

    Just think - while 85 degrees is not an ideal marathon, it does give you a competitive advantage relative to lots of other Boston runners because you've been running in warmer weather all season. (Silver lining?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck in Boston! I hope that the race goes well and that this burned out feeling subsides. You have had an incredibly packed racing schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off: I hope you have the BEST RACE EVER!

    I respectfully disagree with the others on the shoes. Buy a pair at the expo if you have time to even run 20 minutes in them to make sure they aren't defective. They will save your legs and hips. Also, get them a half size big so you don't lose a toenail!
    Just my thought - You are your own woman and will make your best choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also- nice score at Buffalo! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. following your race right now!
    wishing you all the best Grace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought of you this morning when they announced the weather report and I laughed because you made the comment you bring the warm weather with you. You really do! I hope that you had a fabulous race, I've been thinking of you today!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete