Custom Search

Friday, December 3, 2010

Foody Friday: What foods do you miss?

Yesterday I got a very heavy box in the mail from an old friend. I opened it (which judging by its appearance, so did the post office) and found it full of my favorite things:

A big bag of apples and a McIntosh scented candle!
You see, I adore McIntosh apples but since apples don't grow anywhere near Louisiana, we only get them for a few months each autumn. When they're available, I eat three or four a day. I'm eating one now actually.Of all the things, it turns out that I miss McIntoshes more than anything else (except maybe fall leaves) since I moved from New England. I must have mentioned that to my friend because she found me the perfect Christmas gift!
Are there foods that you "miss"? Either because you moved...they aren't made anymore...or your adult sensibilities won't allow you to eat large quantities of concentrated sugar? There was a beloved New Orleans bakery called McKennzie's that was famed for its "blackout cake" before it went out of business. David obsesses about blackout cake at least once a week and nearly every birthday his family attempts (and fails) to recreate it!

8 comments:

  1. There was this takeout restaurant called Coop De Ville when I went to college in Hattiesburg, Ms. They went out of business after I graduated which supports my theory that I was there best customer. Their main product was fried chicken fingers on poboy bread with a variety of cheese and sauce combinations, served with spicy fries. my favorites were the Professor Plum (Mozzarella and plum sauce), the Love Me Tender (Swiss and Honey Mustard) and the Texas Toast (Mozzarella, Honey BBQ Sauce, and Tony's seasoning). I ate there at least once a week. (And oddly enough was significantly smaller than I am now... I miss my 20 year old metabolism!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss New Orleans food! I would kill for a meal at Herbsaint or Rio Mar right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I found out about my gluten intolerance about 2 years ago, so there are alot of foods that I miss due to that. I feel so much better, so it was a great lifestyle change, but my heart aches a bit for things like my mom's carmel rolls, crepes, and baguettes! Oh, and chicken strips. I know they are so unhealthy, but gosh I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a wedding in Vermont this summer. They made homemade maple donuts at the hotel we were staying at. I wish I could have one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great friend!! I love love love apples. I can always eat large amounts of sugar but I definitely miss fresh fish in Cali...Utah cannot compete.
    Sorry about your zucchini history:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE apples! I am so lucky to live in southern B.C. where we can buy local apples *almost* year-round :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmh, I have lived in the same city for 26 years now. IF I ever did move, I would totally miss greasy taco shops that are open 24/7 and pretty much on EVERYWHERE. How funny that "The Hungry Runner Girl" commented on your food post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The carmel apple you described made me drool. I hope you win.

    ReplyDelete