|The carnage - an ornament dropped right by the door!|
It's a good party when you're sweeping up broken glass afterward...right? David and I hosted our Christmas party last weekend, and we had about 30 people over for food and drinks. I served:
- White hot Christmas chili
- Pulled pork on buns with coleslaw
- Hummus with pitas and toppings
- Chips and salsa - two kinds, red and green (homemade)
- Cheese and olive plate. I kind of splurged here and it was delicious.
- Grapes and a largely ignored veggie tray
- Lots of beer
- LaCroix, this water all the hipsters drink
- Tempranillo and shiraz
- Three kinds of cookies - peppermint spirals, oatmeal toffee, and these deep, rich, brownie cookies using chocolate I bought in Peru
I bought ornaments and paint markers and people decorated ornaments while they were there. I also had a flash of brilliance and put dry erase markers out with our wine glasses, which let everyone personalize their glasses (except my ditzy sister in law, who drew on hers with one of the paint markers for the ornaments, which are quite permanent - and on a totally different table lest anyone accidentally confuse them. Some people).
We had a wonderful diverse group of friends over: our landlords, who are the two most interesting people I know, and big cheese eaters (hence the overloaded cheese plate); a renaissance man (lawyer, published and awarded writer, and business owner); our pastors (both); another writer; the news editor for NOLA.com; an accountant specifically for the movie industry; a yoga teacher; an entomologist; a competitive Judo practitioner. We know some cool people and are lucky to have them as friends!