Custom Search

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Al Briede 5k, injury scare, and plugging along

With friends at the start (waiting and waiting because I didn't
realize that the 8 am start was for the kid's mile; the 5k wasn't
until 8:30!)
With the Crescent City Classic 10k fast approaching, I knew I had to get a 5k in to see where I was at speed-wise. I registered last minute for a 5k in the park, and it was as terrible as I thought it would be. I usually come back from a long break in the 20:30 - 21:00 range, and I ran 20:31. Almost exactly what I estimated I would run! But oof, it hurt: I am not ready to be racing yet. And worse, my RIGHT foot - not the one that fractured - started a familiar ache. I jogged home after the race (missing out on the generous age group awards of gift cards to A CHILDREN'S SHOE STORE, why would I want that, especially two years in a row!) and took off my shoe. To my dismay, my foot was bruised, just like the other side bruised when it was fractured!

I decided to take time off, and call a doctor (finally), but the earliest appointment I could make was the 27th. And oddly, my foot stopped hurting. I eased back into short, easy jogs, and the bruising vanished and pain went away, although I am constantly worrying about it returning. Now I'm considering canceling my doctor's appointment! That foot never swelled up, which is a telltale fracture sign and one that was very obvious in my other foot, so I don't know what happened, but I don't think it's fractured.

Now, here I am, heading into a 10k next week barely able to even run 6 miles straight, and feeling pretty out of shape. I had two workouts (ha!) for this race, and the 10k is a very hard distance for me anyway, so I expect it will be a really slow day. Anyone else raced out of shape? Or just coming back from injury? I dread it, but it has to be done!

4 comments:

  1. I hope your other foot is okay. I wonder what happened! I think your 10K will be fine and that you will surprise yourself. When you take time off you really don't lose as much fitness as you think. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry you're dealing with this roller coaster.

    I've raced when coming off of a break. I actually like doing it. I don't feel any pressure because I know I'm out of shape so the time doesn't mean much.

    It's kinda fun to run when you're out of shape, having no idea what you might run. Kinda an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you didn’t have any swelling but jeez you can’t catch a break. I hope the pain was just a fluke!

    ReplyDelete