Custom Search

Friday, March 6, 2020

February running

You don't get a recap of January running, because you know what I was doing in January? Three things: being miserably overdue, having a baby, and then recovering from said baby. Yeah, I ran some scattered miles, but they were mental health miles! (There were some standout runs in January, though: running 1.5 miles while in labor, 48 hours before he was finally born, and a 3 miler 13 days after he was born - an early, but much-needed, run!)

Honestly, February wasn't much better. The first few weeks to months of a baby's life are just so full of changes, it's hard to get a schedule down. Our little guy struggled with eating and gaining weight at first, too (he is fine now - he did PT with the sweetest physical therapist ever and learned how to suck!) so that monopolized a lot of my time. I had to breastfeed, pump, bottle feed every single time he ate, so that took up a good part of my day (also - I hated it; I wanted to be cuddling my baby but I had to toss him on a boppy and pump constantly!). So running took a back seat.
car pump life (on the way to track)

I ran 98 miles in February, and that included:

- My longest run, ten miles with the stroller
- My first workout back on the track, which was as bad as I expected. I modified the workout, and ended up with 8x400 at 5k pace with 400 jog. I ran an average of 1:35, although it was clear I was out of touch with my pacing, as I ranged from 1:32 to 1:39.
- LOTS of short, 3 mile runs
- Several big breaks, including while on a business trip (handling a baby on a business trip was tough enough; I didn't think I could also exercise, but as it turned out I probably could have. David came with me to watch baby, and they were both angels!).

I am hoping to gain some consistency in March. I don't want to jinx myself by putting it in writing, but our schedule has stabilized now that baby is sleeping through the night! When he turned seven weeks old, he started daycare (I went back to work at six weeks, but we were traveling for my trip that first week, and the other days David kept him so we wouldn't have to pay a full month for just a few days). I don't know if daycare just exhausts him (he takes short naps there!) or if it's related to his improved eating, or if it's just related to his age, but he is now sleeping 9pm to 6am. Actually, it's really about 7:30 to 6, but I force him to wake up and eat at 9. He wouldn't wake if I didn't get him up, and getting him awake enough to eat is a challenge! He will (cutely) look up at me and smile before promptly falling back asleep.

With this lovely new schedule - and it is indeed lovely! - we have some flexibility in our schedule again. The 6am wake up is a little restrictive, as I have to either be back from my run by then to feed him, or leave after he eats (which only gives me about an hour to run, even if I am totally ready to go before he gets up). But I can't complain at all. This week we have been doing feed at 6, then I go running at around 6:40, and David takes baby in the jogging stroller. So far it has worked out great! He loves the stroller, and usually falls asleep near the end up the run, just in time for his first nap of the day. And I can get a quality run in while he's with his dad. I'm crossing my fingers that his night schedule sticks: he's been at it all week now, so I hope it's not a fluke!


  1. I hope he continues to sleep through the night!! Paul didn’t do that until he was a year. He was only up 1-2 times a night until 3.5 months when he hit a horrible sleep regression and then got endless ear infections. But as hard as that time was, it’s such a distant memory now!!

    So glad you have even able to fit so much running in!! Yay!

  2. It's so good to see you back in action, with the baby sleeping through the nite!