Custom Search

Monday, December 3, 2018

Taper troubles

Let's complain a little. The race is Saturday, and

Month before marathon...that's low.
Darn injury, 
1. My husband gave me his cold. I am slamming vitamin C and living on apple cider vinegar and honey, and praying it goes away.

2. Oh boy, the weather. It will be mid-40's for the race, but - raining and VERY windy. As in, 18mph winds with gusts to 32. That's not fun. I do not run well in the wind at all! Furthermore, it's directionally predicted to be a headwind for the majority of the race! I'm super unhappy about this.

3. I had planned to wear the Nike ZoomFly for the race, but a teammate told me that the shoe has very bad traction when wet. I might need a backup plan, so I think I'll bring alternative shoes in case it's raining (not sure if it will rain before, during, or after race).

But hey. You don't always get perfect race days. So I'll do the best I can with what I've got!

7 comments:

  1. Ugh, that weather forecast is THE WORST. Rain is ok if it isn't cold, but cold + rain + wind = awful!!! I hope the forecast changes!! and that you are healthy come race day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOOO! This is giving me flashbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. Still time for it to change, perhaps.

    BTW, I don't run in the Zoomflys, but I can confirm that the Vaporfly 4% has bad traction, and the Streak is worse. Nike shoes in general don't seem great in slippery conditions (I brought a pair of Adidas shoes to CIM just in case it rained).

    I do think it's smart to bring a back-up pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helpful info, thank you. Brining a back up pair!

      Delete
  4. I live in Huntsville and am pacing at the race! 4:15 pace. I hope I get a chance to run into you and that you meet you race goal! Everyone here is complaining about the weather too! If you have any questions about the course, etc. shoot me an email! kmaehlmann@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Looks like *maybe* the weather is mildly improving - depending on which weather site you check! Hope to see you at the race!

      Delete
  5. Bring a back-up everything. One time I accidentally packed a pair of Greg's socks, but since I always bring a back-up, it wasn't a problem. The forecast can change a lot without notice so bringing lots of options will put your mind at ease. Your rain doesn't look to be as heavy as it was a few days ago, so hopefully the trend is continued improvement.

    ReplyDelete