Custom Search

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's going to be a loooong day...


...because I'm working overnight! Yep, the joys of being the new kid on the block. Actually I volunteered to work overnight. You see, if you work a Thanksgiving or Christmas shift in one of the 24-hour stores, you don't have to work another one for 2 years. I volunteered to work overnight so that it wouldn't mess with my holiday plans. If you don't volunteer and you haven't worked in the last 2 years, your name gets put in a drawing for open holiday spots. I didn't want to risk being picked for Christmas morning, so when I saw one last overnight shift I snatched it up.
Without reading the fine print.
See, the shift is overnight the night BEFORE the holiday. I thought it was the night OF the holiday. This is kind of bad news for me because I registered for a 5-mile Thanksgiving race tomorrow morning! So I will be working all night, driving an hour home (the store is 58 miles away!), then running a race on zero sleep!
Ah, the craziness I submit myself to.

The shirts are cute, though. Notice those little words at the top? Yeah, this is the 102nd annual race! My gym has sponsored this race forever, and the gym itself has been around for more than 100 years. It used to be a "club", as in the place men would go to smoke cigars and read the paper. In fact it still has a functioning library and bar!
I believe the New Orleans Athletic Club is the oldest gym in the country - and it is beautiful. Working out there is so inspiring! Check out the slide show on their website!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I left an award for you on my blog if you're interested! (Post should be going up sometime around 6 AM).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Becky, you are the sweetest human being on the planet! Thanks oodles!

    ReplyDelete